Press Release California
Washington, DC — Fifty-one years ago, the U.S. Supreme Court decided Roe v. Wade, recognizing the constitutional right to abortion. In the nearly two years since the Court overturned that right in Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization, 21 states have eliminated or restricted access because of abortion bans. However, Republicans’ extreme anti-abortion agenda backfired and protecting abortion is a top motivating issue at the ballot box. Reproductive freedom is mobilizing voters in red, blue, and purple states to protect their rights through ballot measures, by electing candidates who will safeguard their freedoms, and by enshrining the right to abortion nationwide in January 2025 when we reelect President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris.
Reproductive Freedom for All President and CEO Mini Timmaraju released the following statement:
“We are in the fight of our lives to protect the health and well-being of families across the country. Ending the GOP’s horrific abortion bans and restoring our rights is our top priority, and we can only get it done if we reelect Joe Biden and Kamala Harris, the most pro-reproductive freedom administration in our nation’s history. They have fought every day since Roe was overturned to protect and expand access to abortion care, and we need them back with a reproductive freedom majority in Congress so they can enact a federal abortion protection for all Americans. ”
While Trump stacked the federal judiciary with conservative ideologues, used every tool at his disposal to undermine reproductive freedom, and built the anti-abortion supermajority on the Supreme Court that overturned Roe, the Biden-Harris administration has been an unwavering ally in the fight for abortion rights and access. Examples of the historic work include:
- Establishing the Reproductive Rights Task Force;
- Taking executive actions to defend reproductive freedom;
- Championing a federal right to abortion that restores the protections of Roe and our rights;
- Signing the Presidential Memorandum on Ensuring Safe Access to Medication Abortion;
- Fighting back against disinformation by launching reproductiverights.gov;
- Rescinding the Trump administration’s attempt to dramatically expand harmful refusal of care rules;
- Directing the Justice Department to defend reproductive freedom in the courts;
- Nominating and confirming dozens of fair-minded federal judges, including Supreme Court Associate Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson, who recognize our fundamental freedoms;
- Announcing in December that Vice President Harris is launching a “Fight for Reproductive Freedoms” tour—a series of events bringing together thousands of people to fight for the freedom of every American to make decisions about their own body.
The 2023 elections showed that abortion rights and access remain salient to voters, mobilizing people to head to the polls and helping to secure victories in Ohio, Virginia, Pennsylvania, and Kentucky. We have a historic opportunity to expand the fight for reproductive freedom: We must lock the right to abortion into state and federal law and expand access, and the first step to getting there is electing leaders who will champion our rights up and down the ballot. That’s why, on the heels of yet another resounding victory in elections across the country, Reproductive Freedom for All launched its “Vote for Repro Freedom” campaign as the first push of its largest-ever electoral program. This digital and grassroots campaign will harness the momentum of big wins in 2023 by encouraging voters to commit to voting in 2024 for reproductive freedom champions as the first step in mobilizing the 8 in 10 Americans who support legal abortion.
For over 50 years, Reproductive Freedom for All (formerly NARAL Pro-Choice America) has fought to protect and advance reproductive freedom at the federal and state levels—including access to abortion care, birth control, pregnancy and post-partum care, and paid family leave—for everybody. Reproductive Freedom for All is powered by its more than 4 million members from every state and congressional district in the country, representing the 8 in 10 Americans who support legal abortion.