Press Release National
Reproductive Freedom for All Launches “Vote for Repro Freedom” Campaign as First Push of Its Largest-Ever Electoral Program
Washington, DC — On the heels of yet another resounding victory for abortion rights in elections across the country, Reproductive Freedom for All is launching its “Vote for Repro Freedom” campaign as the first push of its largest-ever electoral program. This digital and grassroots campaign will harness the momentum of big wins in Ohio, Virginia, Pennsylvania, and Kentucky by encouraging voters to commit to voting in 2024 for reproductive freedom champions as the first step in mobilizing the 8 in 10 Americans who support legal abortion.
The vast majority of Americans support reproductive freedom, and voters proved it again Tuesday night. Voters in Virginia rejected GOP attempts to ban abortion by lying about their policies and made it clear that they won’t be fooled by lies and disinformation. In Ohio, a broad coalition of doctors, advocates, and community members came together to pass a ballot initiative that enshrined abortion rights in the state’s constitution, effectively overturning the GOP-implemented abortion ban that took effect in 2022. And in Pennsylvania, voters ensured a reproductive freedom majority on the state supreme court, an important move to protect hard-won protections from underhanded GOP attacks.
Reproductive Freedom for All President and CEO Mini Timmaraju released the following statement:
“When the Supreme Court overturned Roe and allowed Republican politicians to enforce abortion bans, they fueled a wave of outraged voters who have shown their power in elections time and again – including Tuesday night. One year out from the election, the power abortion rights have to mobilize voters is only growing, as is the diverse coalition of voters who are demanding that their leaders protect and expand access to abortion. Our first campaign of our 2024 program gives them a way to signal their support, plug into organizing efforts, and join the community of Americans who refuse to allow lawmakers to take away their rights.”
Reproductive Freedom for All is already on the ground in states across the country, working to ensure reproductive freedom champions are elected from statehouses to the White House and that we protect and expand abortion rights and access through ballot measures. Our 2024 program connects voters with opportunities to make immediate, tangible change to help build a future where everyone is free to make their own decisions about their bodies, lives, and families.
The program focuses on engaging members and voters — and especially Gen Z, young Black voters, and young voters of color — through digital and relational organizing, deep field investments, robust accountability and communications programs, on-the-ground support in key races and ballot initiatives, and more. Key components include:
- Ramping up youth and student organizing by growing our campus organizing program, which we piloted in Michigan in 2022, to Nevada and Arizona;
- Expanding our digital organizing program in order to connect voters with the tools and resources they need to mobilize their own communities;
- Mobilizing staff and members on the ground in key states essential to securing victory up and down the ballot in 2024, including: Michigan, Arizona, Georgia, Nevada, and California;
- Working alongside our partners on the ground in states like Nevada and Arizona to ensure voters have the opportunity to weigh in on abortion rights and access at the voting booth through ballot measures;
- Harnessing the full power of our more than 4 million members from every state and congressional district in the country to mobilize their communities through phone banks and text banks, canvasses, and online mobilization;
- Continuing to invest in our innovative message research in order to uncover ways to reach crucial new audiences who we know support us, but who don’t yet show up in our member rolls.
The stakes for reproductive freedom and abortion access are higher than ever. Since the U.S. Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade, anti-abortion Republicans in 21 states and counting are enforcing abortion bans—blocking millions of people from accessing abortion care in their home states. Meanwhile, the GOP is continuing its crusade to end all abortion, everywhere. Not only are anti-abortion lawmakers seeking to further decimate access in the states, but Republican congressional and presidential candidates support a national abortion ban that they seek to sign into law should they win control of the House, Senate, and White House.
Read about Reproductive Freedom for All’s endorsed candidates here.
For over 50 years, Reproductive Freedom for All (formerly NARAL Pro-Choice America) has fought to protect and advance reproductive freedom at the federal and state levels—including access to abortion care, birth control, pregnancy and post-partum care, and paid family leave—for everybody. Reproductive Freedom for All is powered by its more than 4 million members from every state and congressional district in the country, representing the 8 in 10 Americans who support legal abortion.