Press Release Nevada
For Immediate Release: Saturday, November 12, 2022
Contact: [email protected]
NARAL Pro-Choice America Celebrates as Democrats Retain Control of U.S. Senate
“Let this latest incredible victory be a reminder: The vast majority of Americans support legal abortion, and they will support the people who will fight for their freedoms.”
Washington, DC — Today, after Nevada Sen. Catherine Cortez Masto won reelection, Democrats retained power in the U.S. Senate. This huge victory comes after Democratic candidates embraced support for abortion rights and access on the campaign trail—helping to propel them to victory in key battleground races across the country.
NARAL Pro-Choice America President Mini Timmaraju released the following statement in response:
“Congratulations to Senate Democratic leadership who know that reproductive freedom is, in fact, a winning issue. For every candidate and officeholder who wonders whether their district is pro-choice or worries that talking about abortion will cost them votes, let this latest incredible victory be a reminder: The vast majority of Americans support legal abortion, and they will support the people who will fight for their freedoms. For years, reproductive health, rights, and justice groups have been partnering with Democratic lawmakers to lead on abortion. To see the proof of concept at such a pivotal moment in our history is a powerful affirmation: Abortion matters to voters. To win, it needs to matter to you, too. While we celebrate this victory, our work is not yet over. We’re doubling down with NARAL Pro-Choice Georgia and our 83,000 members in the state to reelect Sen. Rev. Warnock in Georgia so he can continue to fight alongside us for reproductive freedom in the Senate.”
This election cycle, NARAL harnessed the energy of voters across the country who are tired of seeing their rights trampled upon by extremist Republicans. We tapped our members to fight back and organize their communities, including by joining with the millions of voters who haven’t been activated by this issue before, but are now angry and ready to hold anti-choice lawmakers accountable. Our program focused on deep field investments in phone banking, door knocking, youth organizing, and canvassing, along with a robust communications campaign to support endorsed candidates and ballot initiatives in Pennsylvania, Georgia, California, Michigan, Arizona, and Nevada.
Key components of our midterm campaign include:
- Harnessing the full power of our 4 million members to mobilize their communities through traditional organizing tactics. In total, we knocked on over 330,000 doors, made nearly 707,000 calls, sent over 868,000 texts, and filled over 4,860 volunteer shifts.
- Continuing to broaden the impact of our cutting-edge research into voter sentiment on abortion, including our pioneering freedom-centered messaging, by training candidates, volunteers, and activists to speak to their communities in ways we know align with their values and move them to act on their beliefs.
- Rolling out a pilot program in Michigan with 14 organizers working on seven four-year college campuses and over 20 community college campuses to enroll voters and activate over 721 volunteers.
- Endorsing candidates in over 200 races nationwide for federal and state offices.
- NARAL, Planned Parenthood Action Fund, and EMILY’s List announced a partnership in May to collectively spend a historic $150 million on the 2022 midterms to elect reproductive freedom champions up and down the ballot across the country.
For over 50 years, NARAL Pro-Choice America has fought to protect and advance reproductive freedom at the federal and state levels—including access to abortion care, birth control, pregnancy and post-partum care, and paid family leave—for every body. NARAL is powered by its 4 million members from every state and congressional district in the country, representing the 8 in 10 Americans who support legal abortion.