Press Release California
For Immediate Release: Tuesday, November 8, 2022
Contact: [email protected]
Carson City, Nevada — Today, Nevada voters reelected NARAL-endorsed candidate Attorney General Aaron Ford to the attorney general’s office. Attorney General Ford’s victory marks a huge win for reproductive freedom.
In response to Attorney General Ford’s victory, NARAL Pro-Choice America President Mini Timmaraju released the following statement:
“Throughout his campaign, Attorney General Aaron Ford demonstrated that he will be a true champion for reproductive freedom and will fight to make sure everybody has the freedom to make their own decisions about if, when, and how to start or grow a family. We congratulate Attorney General Ford on his victory and look forward to working with him in Nevada.”
NARAL Pro-Choice America Southwest Regional Director Caroline Mello Roberson said:
“NARAL Pro-Choice Nevada and our more than 48,000 members across the state applaud Attorney General Aaron Ford for his victory over anti-choice extremist Republican Sigal Chattah. Unlike Chattah, Attorney General Ford is a proven champion for reproductive freedom and will fight against extreme attacks on abortion access and our most fundamental freedoms.”
Attorney General Ford has been a strong champion of reproductive freedom throughout his career in public service. Ford joined an amicus brief against a restrictive six-week abortion ban in South Carolina and a brief in support of the U.S. Department of Justice’s challenge to Texas’s vigilante-enforced abortion ban. Not only that, but just one day after taking the oath of office for attorney general in 2019, Ford added Nevada to a coalition of states working to block the Trump administration’s action to allow employers to deny their employees coverage for birth control for nearly any reason. Also, in 2019, Ford led an amicus brief filed by 20 states arguing that a state cannot limit abortion providers because of the availability of abortion providers in a neighboring state.
In June, the U.S. Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade in its decision in Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization—ending the constitutional right to abortion and opening the door for extremist state lawmakers to put total bans on abortion in place. This decision is already having a devastating impact throughout the country as 15 states are enforcing extreme or total bans on abortion. The people hurt most by these bans and restrictions are those who already face barriers to accessing abortion care—including women; Black, Latina/x, Asian American, Native Hawaiian, Pacific Islander, and Indigenous people; those working to make ends meet; the LGBTQ+ community; immigrants; young people; those living in rural communities; people with disabilities, and other historically oppressed communities.
NARAL endorsed Attorney General Ford as part of its largest-ever midterm electoral program to elect candidates up and down the ballot during this critical moment in the fight for reproductive freedom. The program focuses on deep field investments in phone banking, door knocking, youth organizing, and canvassing, along with a robust communications campaign to support endorsed candidates and ballot initiatives in Pennsylvania, Georgia, California, Michigan, Arizona, and Nevada.
NARAL’s work in Nevada includes:
- Knocking on nearly 95,000 doors in Las Vegas, making over 25,000 calls, and sending nearly 62,000 texts;
- Running a robust canvass operation in Las Vegas since it began its work in the state in 2016, holding daily canvasses for over two months; and
- Deploying NARAL Pro-Choice America president Mini Timmaraju to fight side-by-side with champions and get out the vote in key races.
Key components of our midterm campaign include:
- Harnessing the full power of our 4 million members to mobilize their communities through traditional organizing tactics. In total, we knocked on over 330,000 doors, made nearly 707,000 calls, sent over 868,000 texts, and filled over 4,860 volunteer shifts.
- Continuing to broaden the impact of our cutting-edge research into voter sentiment on abortion, including our pioneering freedom-centered messaging, by training candidates, volunteers, and activists to speak to their communities in ways we know align with their values and move them to act on their beliefs.
- Rolling out a pilot program in Michigan with 14 organizers working on seven four-year college campuses and over 20 community college campuses to enroll voters and activate over 721 volunteers.
- Endorsing candidates in over 200 races nationwide for federal and state offices.
- NARAL, Planned Parenthood Action Fund, and EMILY’s List announced a partnership in May to collectively spend a historic $150 million on the 2022 midterms to elect reproductive freedom champions up and down the ballot across the country.
For over 50 years, NARAL Pro-Choice America has fought to protect and advance reproductive freedom at the federal and state levels—including access to abortion care, birth control, pregnancy and post-partum care, and paid family leave—for every body. NARAL is powered by its 4 million members from every state and congressional district in the country, representing the 8 in 10 Americans who support legal abortion.