For Immediate Release: June 23, 2020
Contact: [email protected]
Five Candidates Earn Endorsements from Nation’s Leading Pro-Choice Advocacy Group
NARAL Pro-Choice America today announced its endorsement of five Congressional candidates in California, Ohio, and Michigan ahead of the November general election: Brynne Kennedy (CA-04), Chris Bubser (CA-08), Kate Schroder (OH-01), Desiree Tims (OH-10), and Hillary Scholten (MI-03). All five candidates are seeking to flip seats currently held by anti-choice incumbents.
“As states across the country continue to attack reproductive freedom, it’s more important than ever that we protect and expand the pro-choice majority in the House of Representatives,” said Ilyse Hogue, President of NARAL Pro-Choice America. “NARAL is proud to endorse these candidates as they work to unseat anti-choice Republicans and safeguard the freedom for every body to make their own decisions about their families and their futures.”
Background on the candidates
- Brynne Kennedy (CA-04) is a business leader and philanthropist seeking to unseat anti-choice Republican incumbent Tom McClintock. Rep. McClintock earned a 0% score from NARAL in the 2019 Congressional Record on Choice.
- Chris Bubser (CA-08) is an engineer and biotech advisor. She is now seeking to fill the seat being vacated by anti-choice Republican Paul Cook, and will be facing off against Republican Jay Obernolte.
- Kate Schroder (OH-01) is a health care advocate seeking to unseat anti-choice Republican incumbent Steve Chabot. Rep. Chabot earned a 0% score from NARAL in the 2019 Congressional Record on Choice.
- Desiree Tims (OH-10) is a longtime public servant and Capitol Hill staffer now seeking to unseat anti-choice Republican incumbent Michael Turner. Rep. Turner earned a 0% score from NARAL in the 2019 Congressional Record on Choice.
- Hillary Scholten (MI-03) is a public interest attorney now seeking to fill the seat currently held by anti-choice Libertarian incumbent Justin Amash. Rep. Amash earned a 0% score from NARAL in the 2019 Congressional Record on Choice.
“The people of California’s 4th district deserve a Representative who will stand up for the rights of women and girls in our community and ensure we have access to basic health services,” said Brynne Kennedy. “That’s why I’m proud to have the support of NARAL Pro-Choice America.”
“I’m honored to receive NARAL’s endorsement. All people should have the autonomy to make decisions about their own bodies,” said Chris Bubser. “For women, this must include the entirety of their reproductive health, from family planning and cancer screenings, to comprehensive maternity support and paid parental leave. NARAL has been a leader in protecting women’s freedoms for decades, and I’m thrilled to have their support.”
“To have safe and healthy communities, it is imperative that all people in our district have access to affordable, high quality reproductive care,” said Kate Schroder. “Patients, not politicians, should be empowered to make essential healthcare decisions. The people of our district deserve a champion for reproductive freedom.”
“I am honored to receive NARAL’s endorsement,” said Desiree Tims. “At a time when healthcare and human rights are top of mind and under attack, my community cannot afford to have a leader like my opponent who consistently turns his back on these issues. I will be a loud voice for reproductive freedom in Congress. ”
“As a mom and a public interest lawyer, I have seen firsthand the importance of access to affordable healthcare, and letting women have full control over their reproductive decisions,” said Hillary Scholten. “I have spent my entire career fighting for justice and equality and I look forward to joining with NARAL to continue that work in Congress.”
NARAL Pro-Choice America and its network of state affiliates and chapters are dedicated to protecting and expanding reproductive freedom for all. For more than 50 years, NARAL has worked to guarantee that every woman has the right to make personal decisions regarding the full range of reproductive choices, including preventing unintended pregnancy, bearing healthy children, and choosing legal abortion. Since 1969, NARAL has made history, grown to over 2.5 million members, and met the moments that have defined this fight with action, power, and freedom. In recognition of its work defending our constitutional right to choose, Fortune Magazine described NARAL as “one of the top 10 advocacy groups in America.”