Press Release California
For Immediate Release: July 30, 2020
Contact: [email protected]
NARAL Pro-Choice California today announced its endorsement of seven candidates ahead of the November 3rd general election: Josh Becker (SD-13), John Laird (SD-17), Kathy Miller (AD-13), Alex Lee (AD-25), Steve Bennett (AD-37), Andrew Rodriguez (AD-55), and Lisa Calderon (AD-57).
“2020 has shone a spotlight on the importance of electing leaders at the state level who are unwavering in their commitment to safeguarding our most fundamental freedoms,” said Shannon Hovis, Director of NARAL Pro-Choice California. “NARAL is proud to endorse these seven candidates, all of whom can be trusted to stand strong against Republican attacks on abortion and will fight to ensure that every Californian has the freedom to make their own decisions about pregnancy and equitable access to the full range of reproductive healthcare.”
Background on the candidates
- Josh Becker (SD-13) is an educator, and founder of Full Circle, which accelerates nonprofits to build a better Bay Area. He is seeking to fill the seat being vacated by state Sen. Jerry Hill and will face off against Republican candidate Alexander Glew in November.
- John Laird (SD-17) formerly represented California’s 27th Assembly District, in addition to serving as the state’s Secretary for Natural Resources. He is seeking to fill the seat being vacated by state Sen. Bill Monning, and will face off against anti-choice Republican candidate Vicki Nohrden in November.
- Kathy Miller (AD-13) sits on the San Joaquin County Board of Supervisors and previously served on the Stockton City Council. She is seeking to fill the seat being vacated by Asm. Susan Eggman, and will face off against Democrat Carlos Villapudua in November.
- Alex Lee (AD-25) has worked as a Legislative Policy Advisor in the California State Senate and Assembly and is now seeking to fill the seat being vacated by Asm. Kansen Chu. He will face off against Republican candidate Bob Brunton in November.
- Steve Bennett (AD-37) sits on the Ventura County Board of Supervisors and previously served on the Ventura City Council. He is seeking to fill the seat being vacated by Asm. Monique Limon, and will face off against Republican candidate Charles Cole, who has aligned himself with Trump’s agenda, in November.
- Andrew Rodriguez (AD-55) is currently on the Walnut City Council, where he most recently served as Mayor, and is seeking to unseat anti-choice Republican incumbent Asm. Phillip Chen.
- Lisa Calderon (AD-57) is a businesswoman, activist, and was one of the first Latina legislative aides in the California State Legislature. She is seeking to fill the seat being vacated by Asm. Ian Calderon, and will face off against anti-choice, anti-LGBTQ Republican candidate Jessica Martinez in November.
“I’m very honored to receive the endorsement of NARAL Pro-Choice California and excited to help lead in the fight for reproductive freedom as well as common sense priorities including paid family leave,” said Josh Becker, candidate for SD-13.
“The stakes for reproductive freedom are high in 2020, and I’m honored to join NARAL in this critical fight,” said John Laird, candidate for SD-17. “I’m committed to ensuring that every Californian has access to the full range of reproductive healthcare, and will be a fierce advocate for women and LGBTQ communities in the state Senate.”
“What an incredible honor to receive the support from NARAL,” said Kathy Miller, candidate for AD-13. “With so much at stake for Californians, and so many struggling to receive the healthcare and services they need, I will never stop fighting for the issues that matter. I am truly honored to receive the support of NARAL Pro-Choice California and look forward to working with them and others in advancing policies that put the health and well-being of Californians first.”
“I’m proud to have earned NARAL’s endorsement,” said Alex Lee, candidate for AD-25. “I am a fierce supporter and advocate for a woman’s right to choose what is right for her body and her future. With the SCOTUS chipping away at birth control access, it’s now more important than ever to protect every individual’s bodily autonomy.”
“Make no mistake: women’s reproductive rights are under attack. I will fight to protect choice as a member of the State Assembly, as I have at the local level,” said Steve Bennett, candidate for AD-37. “And I’m honored to have earned the support of NARAL Pro-Choice California, because it takes a strong coalition to protect reproductive freedom for all women.”
“I am extremely grateful for NARAL’s endorsement. I look forward to working with them in Sacramento to protect and expand reproductive freedom and access,” said Andrew Rodriguez, candidate for AD-55.
“Together we can win this election, end Trump’s non-stop attacks on women and our rights, and bring about a new direction to politics that refreshes our liberties and begins a new chapter of progress for California, for America, and for women everywhere,” said Lisa Calderon, candidate for AD-57. “Thank you, NARAL, for your leadership and vision.”
NARAL Pro-Choice America and its network of state affiliates and chapters are dedicated to protecting and expanding reproductive freedom for all. For more than 50 years, NARAL has worked to guarantee that every woman has the right to make personal decisions regarding the full range of reproductive choices, including preventing unintended pregnancy, bearing healthy children, and choosing legal abortion. Since 1969, NARAL has made history, grown to over 2.5 million members, and met the moments that have defined this fight with action, power and freedom. In recognition of its work defending our constitutional right to choose, Fortune Magazine described NARAL as “one of the top 10 advocacy groups in America.”