Press Release California
For Immediate Release: Wednesday, September 28, 2022
Contact: [email protected]
“We Built NARAL for This Moment”: NARAL Pro-Choice America Launches Final Push of Its Largest-Ever Midterm Program Amid Wave of Newly Engaged Voters
Four million members strong, nation’s oldest member-based reproductive freedom organization launches final phase of the “Fight Back for Freedom” electoral program ahead of midterms
Washington, DC — NARAL Pro-Choice America today announced the launch of the final phase of our “Fight Back for Freedom” electoral program, powered by our 4 million-member strong grassroots movement. At this unprecedented moment in history—when a fundamental freedom is being put to the people for a vote—NARAL is uniquely positioned to be a difference-maker in races across the nation, where our active and engaged members outnumber the margin of victory in the 2020 elections.
“We built NARAL for this moment. We are ready, fearless, and committed to electing reproductive freedom champions up and down the ballot across the country,” said NARAL Pro-Choice America President Mini Timmaraju. “Our message is simple: When you come for our rights, we’ll come for your seats.” Losing the right to abortion is motivating voters to head to the polls in red, blue, and purple states. A NARAL analysis of early mail ballot requests in Georgia points to a growing wave among women and Black voters in the state and shows motivation far outpacing previous elections. In Kansas, the loss of the constitutional right to abortion spurred voter registration that changed the face of the state’s electorate and led to a blowout victory for abortion rights.
NARAL is harnessing that momentum, tapping our members to fight back and organize their communities, including by joining with the millions of voters who haven’t been activated by this issue before, but are now angry and ready to hold anti-choice lawmakers accountable.The program focuses on deep field investments in phone banking, door knocking, youth organizing, and canvassing, along with a robust communications campaign to support endorsed candidates and ballot initiatives in Pennsylvania, Georgia, California, Michigan, Arizona, and Nevada.
Key components of the campaign include:
- Continuing to broaden the impact of our cutting-edge research into voter sentiment on abortion, including our pioneering freedom-centered messaging, by training candidates, volunteers, and activists to speak to their communities in ways we know align with their values and move them to act on their beliefs;
- Rolling out a pilot program in Michigan with 14 organizers working on seven college campuses to enroll 14,000 voters, make 21,000 voter contacts, and recruit over 400 volunteers;
- Harnessing the full power of our 4 million members to mobilize their communities through phone banks and text banks, canvasses, and online mobilization;
- Working alongside our partners on the ground in California, Michigan, and Kentucky to protect reproductive freedom in key ballot measure campaigns;
- Partnering with AAPI Victory Fund, Latino Victory Fund, and Higher Heights for America PAC to prioritize outreach to Asian American and Pacific Islander, Latinx, and Black voters; and
- Deploying NARAL Pro-Choice America president Mini Timmaraju, on a cross-country “Fight Back” tour to fight side-by-side with champions and get out the vote in key races.
Already, NARAL has made significant investments in traditional ads along with innovative influencer content this cycle. Earlier this year, NARAL announced a joint effort with Planned Parenthood Action Fund and EMILY’s List to collectively spend a historic $150 million on the 2022 midterms to ensure the election of reproductive freedom champions up and down the ballot.
The stakes for reproductive freedom and abortion access are higher than ever. Since the U.S. Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade, anti-choice extremists in 15 states and counting have begun enforcing bans on abortion—blocking millions of people from accessing abortion care in their home states. Meanwhile, Congressional Republicans have made it clear that they intend to pass a nationwide ban on abortion. Candidates like Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp have said making birth control illegal is on the table, and all but eight current House GOP members voted against a law that would ensure contraception access.
Read more about NARAL Pro-Choice America’s endorsed reproductive freedom candidates here.
For over 50 years, NARAL Pro-Choice America has fought to protect and advance reproductive freedom at the federal and state levels—including access to abortion care, birth control, pregnancy and post-partum care, and paid family leave—for every body. NARAL is powered by its 4 million members from every state and congressional district in the country, representing the 8 in 10 Americans who support legal abortion.