For Immediate Release: Friday, June 23, 2023
Contact: [email protected]
NARAL Pro-Choice America Endorses President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris for Reelection
This endorsement is being announced with EMILYs List and Planned Parenthood Action Fund as part of a joint effort to support the Biden-Harris administration’s reelection
Washington, DC — Today, NARAL Pro-Choice America endorsed President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris for reelection in 2024. This endorsement comes just one day before the one-year mark since the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade, as part of a joint effort alongside endorsements from other leading reproductive rights organizations: Planned Parenthood Action Fund’s endorsement of President Biden and EMILYs List’s endorsement of Vice President Harris. As millions of Americans are blocked from accessing abortion care because of state bans and Republican presidential candidates push for a nationwide ban, ensuring that President Biden and Vice President Harris remain in the White House to protect reproductive freedom is more important than ever.
NARAL Pro-Choice America President Mini Timmaraju released the following statement in response:
“President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris are the strongest advocates for reproductive freedom ever to occupy the White House, and NARAL Pro-Choice America proudly endorses their reelection. It’s as simple as this: Abortion matters to Americans. In elections since the Supreme Court took away our right to abortion, voters have mobilized in massive numbers to elect Democrats who will fight to restore it. Americans know the extremist GOP stacked the courts to take away our freedoms, and they won’t forget it. We’re proud to make this historic endorsement, and our 4 million members are ready to get to work to send President Biden and Vice President Harris back to the White House.”
The Biden-Harris administration’s critical work to safeguard reproductive freedom and abortion access includes:
- Establishing the Reproductive Rights Task Force;
- Taking executive actions to defend reproductive freedom;
- Championing the Women’s Health Protection Act;
- Signing the Presidential Memorandum on Ensuring Safe Access to Medication Abortion;
- Fighting back against disinformation by launching reproductiverights.gov;
- Directing the Justice Department to defend reproductive freedom in the courts;
- Nominating and confirming fair-minded judges, including Associate Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson, who believe in our freedom;
- From the time that the decision to overturn Roe v. Wade was leaked in May of 2022, Vice President Harris has hosted over 45 convenings across the country on reproductive rights.
For over 50 years, NARAL Pro-Choice America has fought to protect and advance reproductive freedom at the federal and state levels—including access to abortion care, birth control, pregnancy and post-partum care, and paid family leave—for everybody. NARAL is powered by its 4 million members from every state and congressional district in the country, representing the `8 in 10 Americans who support legal abortion.